Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Spalding DeDecker is an employee-owned surveying and civil engineering firm of 70+ employees. We are looking for a Construction Engineering Senior Inspector with a minimum of 5+ years of experience in field and office assignments on transportation & municipal construction projects. Other discipline experience such as, but not limited to, water main, sanitary sewer, road, pathways and storm water system experience a plus. Extensive knowledge of established construction practices, procedures and techniques as well as applicable local, State and Federal delivery is also beneficial. Must be able to read and interpret documents, such as work orders, safety rules, procedure manuals and construction drawings/plans. Strong analytical and innovative problem solving skills desired. Computer skills required include: internet, e-mail, MS Excel, MS Word and FieldBook.
We are a dynamic organization that believes in rewarding strong performance. The candidate shall have the opportunity to grow as far as his/her abilities take them. There is tremendous upward potential for a candidate that has ambition and passion to succeed.
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Day-to-day interfacing with project team members, clients, contractors and others regarding project related items
- Read and interpret project plans, drawings, and specifications
- Inspect various facets of underground utilities, road and/or bridge items to determine acceptability
- Follow applicable quality control and/or quality assurance practices and procedures
- Monitor the contractor’s construction work for compliance with all project documents including the plans, specifications, contractor submittals, etc.
- Determine that the installed materials meet all specification and testing requirements and that they are from approved sources
- Report any deficiencies in the contractor’s work to the Project Engineer
- Measure, calculate, and determine all quantities of assigned work and/or installed materials
- Prepare Daily Inspector’s Reports using FieldBook and/’or other required computer software
- Review Daily Inspector’s Reports of other technicians as requires and note deficiencies and seek correction of the deficiencies as necessary
- Ability to promote and cultivate client relationships is a plus
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications, and Experience
- Associates Degree in Civil Technology and/or a Bachelor of Science Degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering or like field
- 5+ years of experience in construction engineering and inspection in field and office assignments on transportation and municipal construction projects in road and/or bridge items of work, including a minimum of 5 years’ experience in bridge construction inspection and/or 5 years’ experience in roadway construction inspection
- Certifications and Training preferred:
MDOT FieldManager Training
Michigan Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control (SESC) – Comprehensive Certification
Storm Water Operation Certification
Michigan Concrete Field Testing – MCA – Level 1 Minimum
MDOT Bridge Deck Construction Inspection & Bridge Rehabilitation Inspection
MDOT Hot Mix Asphalt (Bituminous) Paving or MDOT Hot Mix Asphalt (Bituminous) Paving Operations Certification
MDOT Aggregate Certification
MDOT Density Certification
- Excellent technical writing, organizational, and communication skills
- Must be self-motivated and able to work well with others
- Must possess strong customer service skills
- Signing bonus
- Excellent salary based on experience and abilities
- Great benefits including medical, dental, life, and 401k
- Stock ownership
Spalding DeDecker is a drug-free workplace; all candidates will undergo a background check and must pass drug and alcohol screening.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is typically performed in the field and client meetings are required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. For this position, the employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Qualified applicants, please submit your cover letter and resume via email, fax, or mail to:
ATTN: Human Resources
905 South Boulevard East
Rochester Hills, MI 48307
fax: (248) 844-5404